Anthropometric Profile of Age Level & National Level Female Gymnasts In Bangladesh
- Anthropometric profile,
- Female Gymnasts,
- Age Level,
- National Level
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Mone Akther, Farjana Akter Boby
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Introduction: Each sport has a unique anthropometric profile that may be distinguished based on the position, function, or event type within each sport discipline. Anthropometric measurements of gymnasts are important because they play a crucial role in their athletic performance. There isn't much research on gymnastics in Bangladesh. Hence, the purpose of this study was to determine the anthropometric fitness traits of age-level and national-level female gymnasts in Bangladesh. Methods: A total of 20 female gymnasts from Bangladesh Krira Sikkha Protisthan (BKSP) were recruited for the study, divided into two groups: 10 age-level gymnasts and 10 national-level gymnasts. Their ages ranged from 15 to 18 years. The International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry has outlined certain techniques for taking kinanthropometric measurements. The anthropometric characteristics, including height, weight, arm length, leg length, shoulder width, hip circumference& sitting height, were analysed, and the results obtained from the two groups were compared by the analysed "t-test" (p < 0.05). Results: The results indicate that the national-level gymnasts had significantly lower BMI and body fat percentages compared to the age-level gymnasts. Additionally, the study found that age-level gymnasts had significantly higher body fat percentages compared to national-level gymnasts. Conclusion: This study’s findings suggest a significant difference in the anthropometric profile of female gymnasts in Bangladesh between age-level and national-level athletes. These findings could be useful for coaches and athletes in designing training programs and optimizing performance for female gymnasts in Bangladesh.
- Arazi, H., Faraji, H., & Mohammadi,S. (2023). Anthropometric and Physiological Profiles of Elite Iranian Junior Rowers. Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research, 9 (2): 162-166.
- Arriaza, E., Rodríguez, C., Carrasco, C., Mardones,C., Niedmann, L., & López-Fuenzalida, A. (2016). Anthropometric Characteristics of Elite Rhythmic Gymnasts. International Journal of Morphology, 34 (1): 17–22. https://doi.org/10.4067/S0717-95022016000100003
- Ávila-Carvalho, L., Klentrou, P., da L. Palomero, M. & Lebre, E. (2013). Anthropometric profiles and age at menarche in elite group rhythmic gymnasts according to their chronological age. Science & Sports, 28 (4): 172-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scispo.2012.04.005
- Bauli, S. & Mridha, S. (2018). A Study on Anthropometric Profile of International and National level Gymnasts in India. International Journal of Physical Education & Sports Sciences, 13(8): 13–16. http://ignited.in//J/IJOPESS/8/13
- Baxter-Jones, A.D.G. , Maffulli,N. (2002).Intensive training in elite young female athletes, British Journal of Sports Medicine, 36(1): 13–15. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.36.1.13
- Bradshaw, E.J. & Le Rossignol, P. (2004). Anthropometric and Biomechanical field measures of floor and vault ability in 8 to 14 year old talent-selected gymnasts. Sports Biomechanics, 3(2): 249–262. https://doi.org/10.1080/14763140408522844
- Cabañas - Armesilla, M.D. & Esparza- Ros, F. (2009). Compendio de cineantropometría. Madrid: CTO Editorial.
- Claessens, A.L., Lefevre, J., Beunen,G., & Malina,R.M.(1999). The contribution of anthropometric characteristics to performance scores in elite female gymnasts. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 39(4): 355–360.
- Claessens, A.L., Veer,F.M., Stijnen,V., Lefevre,J., Maes,H., Steens,G., & G. Beunen (1991). Anthropometric characteristics of outstanding male and female gymnasts, Journal of Sports Sciences, 9 (1): 53-74, https://doi.org/10.1080/02640419108729855
- Di Cagno,A., Baldari ,C., Battaglia, C., Monteiro,M.D., Pappalardo, A., Piazza,M.& Guidetti, L.(2009). Factors influencing performance of competitive and amateur rhythmic gymnastics--gender differences, Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 12(3): 411–416. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2008.01.006
- Faria,I.E. & Faria,E.W.(1989). Relationship of the anthropometric and physical characteristics of male junior gymnasts to performance, The Journal Of Sports Medicine And Physical Fitness, 29(4): 369–378. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2008.01.006
- Garrido-Chamorro, R., Sirvent-Belando, J.F., González-Lorenzo,M., Blasco-Lafarga, C., & Roche, E.(2012). Skinfold Sum: Reference Values for Top Athletes. International Journal of Morphology, 30(3): 803–809. https://doi.org/10.4067/S0717-95022012000300005
- Georgopoulos, N., Markou,K., Theodoropoulou,A., Paraskevopoulou,P., Varaki,L., Kazantzi, Z., Leglise, M., A. G. Vagenakis, A.G. (1999). Growth and Pubertal Development in Elite Female Rhythmic Gymnasts. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 84(12): 4525–4530. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem.84.12.6177
- Jelicić,M., Sekulić,D., & Marinović, M.(2002). Anthropometric characteristics of high level European junior basketball players. Collegium antropologicum, 26: 69–76.
- Kaur, D. (2014).Comparative study of anthropometric variables between high and low performer sub-junior female gymnasts.” (Unpublished Master’s thesis, SKR College of Physical Education) Department of Physical Education, Punjabi University, Patiala, India
- Klentrou,P. & Plyley, M.(2003). Onset of puberty, menstrual frequency, and body fat in elite rhythmic gymnasts compared with normal controls. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 37(6): 490–494. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.37.6.490
- Lindner, K.L. , Caine, D.J. & Johns, D.P. (1991). Withdrawal predictors among physical and performance characteristics of female competitive gymnasts. Journal of Sports Sciences, 9(3): 259–272. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640419108729888
- Lukic, J. (2020). Anthropometric characteristics of rhythmic gymnasts, Exercise and Quality of Life, 12(2): 37–44. https://doi.org/10.31382/eqol.201205
- Mohammad, A. (2015). Anthropometric Variables between High and Low Performer Sub-Junior Female Gymnasts: A Comparative Study. European journal of academic research, 2(10): 13334–13346.
- Sinning, W.E., & Lindberg,G.D. (1972). Physical Characteristics of College Age Women Gymnasts. Research Quarterly. American Association for Health, Physical Education and Recreation, 43(2), 226–234. https://doi.org/10.1080/10671188.1972.10615134