Assessment of Nutritional Status of Urban Elderly Women in Midnapore Town, Paschim Medinipur, India
- Nutritional status,
- Elderly women,
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Arunima Kundu
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Introduction: A cross-sectional study has been conducted among 114 elderly women in Mitra Compound of Midnapore town, Paschim Medinipur district, West Bengal. All of the participants belong to 60-85 years of age. The objective of the study is to find out the nutritional status of urban elderly women and the factors influencing the nutritional status of the participants. Methods: Body Mass Index (BMI), Waist Circumference (WC), Waist Hip Ratio (WHR), Mid Upper Arm Circumference (MUAC), and Waist Height Ratio (WHTR) have been used to evaluate the nutritional status of the participants. Results: Higher pre-obesity (39.5%) has been observed among the participants. Also, central obesity is found more among the participants according to WC (55.3%), WHR (56.1%), and WHTR (75.4%). Conclusion: In this study, MUAC shows a significant association with age group and educational status. No other associated factor has been found to influence the nutritional status of the participants. The alarming rate of pre-obesity indicates proper nutritional interventions have to be done in the future.
- Agarwala, R., Anku, S.M., Baruah, R. (2016). Assessment of the nutritional status of the elderly and its correlates. Journal of Family and Community Medicine, 22(1).
- Boyanagari, V.K., Panda, P., Boyanagari, M., Panda, S. (2018). Assessment of nutritional status, psychological depression, and functional ability of elderly population in South India. Archives of Mental Health, 19(2): 150-154. https://doi.org/10.4103/AMH.AMH_15_18
- Damiao, R., Santos, A.d., Matijasevich, A., Menezes, R.P. (2017). Factors associated with risk of malnutrition in the elderly in south-eastern Brazil. Revista Brasileira de Epidemiologia, 20(4): 598-610. https://doi.org/10.1590/1980-5497201700040004
- Derbie, L., Oumer, A., Ayele, K., Berhane, A. (2022). Determinants of nutritional Status among old age population in eastern Ethiopia: a general linear model approach. Journal of Nutritional Science, 11(70): https://doi.org/10.1017/jns.2022.62 1-8.
- Dereje, R., Girma, A., Molla, A., Simieneh A. (2022). Mid upper arm circumference as screening tool of overweight or obesity among adult employees of Mizan Tepi University, Southwest Ethiopia. Heliyon, 8(10): E10793. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2022.e10793
- Fauziana, R., Jeyagurunathan, A., Abdin, E., Vaingankar, J., Sagayadevan, V., Shafie, S. (2016). Body mass index, waist-hip ratio and risk of chronic medical condition in the elderly population: results from the Well-being of the Singapore Elderly (WiSE) Study. BMC Geriatrics, 16: 125. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12877-016-0297-z
- Feldblum, I., German, L., Castel, H., Boehm, I.H., Bilenko, N., Eisinger, M. (2007). Characteristics of undernourished older medical patients and the identification of predictors for undernutrition status. Nutrition Journal, 6(37). https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-6-37
- Jadhao, A., Dass, R. (2020). Assessment of nutritional status of the geriatric patients attending the outpatient department of an urban health training centre: a cross-sectional study. International Journal of Community Medicine and Public Health, 7(4): 1528-1532. https://doi.org/10.18203/2394-6040.ijcmph20201468
- James, S.L., Abate, D., Abate, K.H., Abay, S.M., Abbafati, C. (2018).Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 354 diseases and injuries for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2017. The Lancet, 392(10159): 1789-1858. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)32279-7
- Kansal, D., Baliga, S.S., Mallapur, M.D. (2016). Nutritional assessment among elderly population of rural Belagavi: a cross-sectional study. International Journal of Medical Science and Public Health, 5(4): 1-4.
- Meenu, K., Amrit, V., Gupta, B.P., Singh, J. (2014). Assessment of Malnourishment in Elderly of Rural Punjab. Healthline, 5(2): 24-28.
- Nagar, N., Nagar, S., Bharadva, N., Patel, H.B., Mahyavanshi, D., Nagar, S.S. (2022). Study on prevalence of obesity using different scales and its association with hypertension among the elderly in a district of Gujarat. Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care, 11(1): 162-169. https://doi.org/10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_658_21
- Westphal, C., Doblhammer, G. (2014). Projections of Trends in Overweight in the Elderly Population in Germany until 2030 and International Comparison. Obes Facts, 7 (1): 57-68. https://doi.org/10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_658_21
- Wunderlich, S., Brusca, J., Bai, Y. (2012). Overweight and Obesity among Older Adults: How should Obesity be Determined?. Journal of Obesity & Weight Loss Therapy, 2(147). https://doi.org/10.4172/2165-7904.1000147
- Yunita, J., Sartika, R.I. (2018). Waist Circumference for Central Obesity Detection from the Pre-Elderly Stage to the Elderly Stage in Indonesia: A Longitudinal Study. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition, 18(4): 379-386. https://doi.org/10.4172/2165-7904.1000147