Classification of junior Ethiopian football players using anthropometric and physical fitness attributes: Developing a predictive model
Aim: The aim of the present study was to develop a predictive model that identifies the anthropometric and physical fitness characteristics that best predicts the status and playing positions of players (N=400; 15–17 years) in the Ethiopian male youth soccer development programme. Methods: Anthropometric measurement in terms of mass, height, relative body fat, and derived body composition was conducted using the International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry (ISAK) guidelines. Fitness was measured by sprint tests (10 meters, 20 meters and 40 meters flat), the Illinois agility test, vertical jump test and estimated VO2 max. Factorial ANOVA was used to test the relationships between players’ residence, position, and respective interaction terms. Additionally, discriminant analysis was used to identify the variables that contributed to the selections. Results: Players residing in a Sports Camp (academy) vs. their homes were signiﬁcantly different in all anthropometric attributes as well as physical fitness attributes at p<0.05 except VO2 max. The percentage of players who were correctly classiﬁed in the original groups was slightly lower than the percentage calculated after the analysis was performed for the total sample (86%) and after calculation by position (86 – 90%). Conclusion: The study concluded that speed assessed in10m, 40m, vertical jump, and height were the discriminate attributes of Ethiopian junior football players selected or not selected to an elite group residential sports camp. It is recommended that anthropometrical and physical fitness attributes are considered in the assessment and selection of young football players with the potential for higher-level performance selection.
- Physical Fitness,
- Talent development
- Aptitud física,
- Desarrollo de talentos
- Bangsbo, J., (1994). Fitness training in football, University of Copenhagen, August Krogh Institute, Denmark.
- Bangsbo, J., Iaia, F., Krustrup, P., (2008). The Yo-Yo intermittent recovery test : a useful tool for evaluation of physical performance in intermittent sports, Journal of Sports Medicine, 38(1): 37-51. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200838010-00004
- Brahim, M.B., Bougatfa, R., Mohamed, A., (2013). Anthropometric and physical characteristics of Tunisians young soccer players, Advances in Physical Education, 3(3): 125-130. https://doi.org/10.4236/ape.2013.33021
- Brozek, J., Grande, F., Anderson J.T., Keys A., (1963). Densitometric analysis of body composition; Revision of some quantitative assumptions, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 110(1): 113-140. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1963.tb17079.x
- Castagna, C., Impellizzeri, F., Belardinelli, R., Abt, G., Coutts, A., Chamari, K., D'Ottavio, S., (2006). Cardiorespiratory responses to Yo-Yo intermittent endurance test in nonelite youth soccer players, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 20(2): 326-330. https://doi.org/10.1519/00124278-200605000-00016
- Clemente, F.M., Couceiro, M.S., Martins, F.M.L., Ivanova, M.O., Mendes, R., (2013). Activity profiles of soccer players during the 2010 world cup, Journal of Human Kinetics, 38: 201-211. https://doi.org/10.2478/hukin-2013-0060
- Cohen, J., (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.), Lawrence Erlbaum, New Jersey
- Commission, E.S. (2011). Yetadagi Wetatoch project sletena project yememrecha memelemeya (Amharic Version), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Davis, R., Phillips, R., Roscoe, J., (2000). Physical Education and the Study of Sport (4th ed.), Harcourt Publishers, London
- Elferink-Gemser, M., Visscher, C., Lemmink, K., Mulder, T., (2004). Relation between multidimensional performance characteristics and level of performance in talented youth field hockey players, Journal of Sports Sciences, 22(11-12): 1053-1063. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640410410001729991
- Gil, S., Gil, J., Ruiz, F., Irazusta, A., Irazusta, J. (2007a). Physiological and anthropometric characteristics of young soccer players according to their playing position: relevance for the selection process, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 21(2): 438-445. https://doi.org/10.1519/00124278-200705000-00026
- Gil, S., Gil, J., Ruiz, F., Irazusta, A., Irazusta, J., (2007b). Selection of young soccer players in terms of anthropometric and physiological factors, Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 47(1): 25.
- Gil, S., Gil, J., Ruiz, F., Irazusta, A., Irazusta J., (2010). Anthropometrical characteristics and somatotype of young soccer players and their comparison with the general population, Biology of Sport, 27(1): 17-24. https://doi.org/10.5604/20831862.906762
- Gissis, I., Papadopoulos, C., Kalapotharakos, V. I., Sotiropoulos, A., Komsis, G., Manolopoulos, E., (2006). Strength and speed characteristics of elite, subelite, and recreational young soccer players, Research in Sports Medicine, 14(3): 205-214. https://doi.org/10.1080/15438620600854769
- Hoff, J., (2005). Training and testing physical capacities for elite soccer players, Journal of Sports Sciences, 23(6): 573-582. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640410400021252
- Johnson, B.L., Nelson, J.K., (1974). Practical measurements for evaluation in physical education, (2nd ed.), Burgess Publishing Company, USA.
- Krustrup, P., Mohr, M., Nybo, L., Jensen, J.M., Nielsen J.J., Bangsbo, J., (2006). The Yo-Yo IR2 test: Physiological response, reliability, and application to elite soccer, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 38(9): 1666-1673. https://doi.org/10.1249/01.mss.0000227538.20799.08
- Lago-Peñas, C., Rey, E., Casáis, L., Gómez-López, M., (2014). Relationship between performance characteristics and the selection process in youth soccer players, Journal of Human Kinetics, 40(1): 189-199. https://doi.org/10.2478/hukin-2014-0021
- le Gall, F., Carling, C., Williams, M., Reilly, T., (2010). Anthropometric and fitness characteristics of international, professional and amateur male graduate soccer players from an elite youth academy, Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 13(1): 90-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2008.07.004
- Lohman, T.G., (1981). Skinfolds and body density and their relation to body fatness: A review, Human Biology, 53(2): 181-225.
- Malina, R., Bouchard, C., Bar-Or, O., (2004). Growth, maturation, and physical activity, Human kinetics, Champaign II, USA. https://doi.org/10.5040/9781492596837
- Malina, R., Reyes, M.P., Eisenmann, J., Horta, L., Rodrigues, J., Miller, R., (2000). Height, mass and skeletal maturity of elite Portuguese soccer players aged 11-16 years, Journal of Sports Sciences, 18(9): 685-693. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640410050120069
- Masocha, V., (2013). Body composition and functional fitness capacity of young academy soccer players in South Africa and Zimbabwe, (Master's), Stellenbosch University, Western Cape, South Africa.
- Mohr, M., Krustrup, P., Bangsbo, J., (2003). Match performance of high-standard soccer players with special reference to development of fatigue, Journal of Sports Sciences, 21(7): 519-528. https://doi.org/10.1080/0264041031000071182
- Rebelo, A., Brito, J., Maia, J., Coelho-e-Silva, M., Figueiredo, A., Bangsbo, J., Seabra, A., (2013). Anthropometric characteristics, physical fitness and technical performance of under-19 soccer players by competitive level and field position, International Journal of Sports Medicine, 34(4): 312-317. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0032-1323729
- Reilly, T., Bangsbo, J., Franks, A., (2000). Anthropometric and physiological predispositions for elite soccer, Journal of Sports Sciences, 18(9): 669-683. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640410050120050
- Reilly, T., Williams, A.M., Nevill, A., Franks, A., (2000). A multidisciplinary approach to talent identification in soccer, Journal of Sports Sciences, 18(9): 695-702. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640410050120078
- Russell, M., Tooley E., (2011). Anthropometric and performance characteristics of young male soccer players competing in the UK, Serbian Journal of Sports Sciences, 5(4): 155-162.
- Stratton, G., Reilly, T., Richardson, D., & Williams, A.M., (2004). Youth soccer: From science to performance, Routledge, London. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203644133
- Svensson, M., Drust, B., (2005). Testing soccer players, Journal of Sports Sciences, 23(6): 601-618. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640410400021294
- Young, W.B., Newton, R.U., Doyle, T., Chapman, D., Cormack, S., Stewart, C., Dawson, B., (2005). Physiological and anthropometric characteristics of starters and non-starters and playing positions in elite Australian Rules football: a case study, Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 8(3): 333-345. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1440-2440(05)80044-1