Reliability of BMI as an index for fattiness and obesity in active population in comparison to Endomorphy component as an index
- Fat %,
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Anup Adhikari
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Aim: The aim of the present study was to find out whether BMI is a reliable index for fattiness and obesity compare to endomorphy component as index. Methods: 439 males and 475 females from different countries across the world were measured over an extended period of years to 2020 for . Stretched stature, Body weight, Skinfold Thicknesses (Biceps, Triceps, Supraspinale and Calf), Girths (Arm Flexed and Tensed and Calf) and Bi-epicondylar breadth ( Humerus and Femur). Results: Very low correlation (r = 0.18) was observed between BMI and fat % whereas high correlation ( r = 0.61, p< .05) was observed between BMI and Fat Free Mass ( FFM). correlation coefficient ( r) between BMI and Mesomorphy component was 0.79 ( p<.05). Correlation coefficient ( r) between Endomorphy and fat % was 0.86(p<.05). Conclusion: Thus from the above study, it can be concluded that, for individuals, BMI is more associated with muscularity than it is with fatness.
- Carter J.E.L., Heath B.H. (1990) Somatotype-development and application, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Durnin J.V.G.A., Womersley J. (1974). Body fat assessed from total body density and its estimation from skinfold thickness: measurements on 481 men and women aged from 16 to 72 Years, British Journal of Nutrition, 32(1): 77-97.
- Eknoyan G. Adolphe Quetelet (1796-1874) The average man and indices of obesity, Nephrol Dial Transplant, 2008;23(1):47-51.
- Flegal K.M., Shepherd J.A., Looker A.C., Graubard B.I., Borrud L.G., Ogden C.L., Harris T.B., Everhart J.E., Schenker N. (2009) Comparisons of per- centage body fat, body mass index, waist circumference, and waist-stature ratio in adults. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 89(2):500-508. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2008.26847
- Heath B.H., Carter J.E.L. (1967) A modified somatotype method, American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 27:57-74.
- ISAK Manual (2019). International Standards for Anthropometric Assessment. International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry. Edited by: Francisco Esparza-Ros, Raquel Vaquero-Cristóbal, Michael Marfell-Jones, UCAM Universidad Católica de Murcia, Spain.
- Nuttall F.Q. (2015) Body Mass Index-Obesity, BMI, and Health: A critical Review, Nutritiona Today, 50(3):117-128.
- Siri W.E. (1956). Body composition from fluid spaces and density. University of California Radiation Laboratory Publication No. 3349.
- Strain G.W., Zumoff B. (1992) The relationship of weight-height indices of obesity to body fat content. J Am Coll Nutr. 1(6):715-718.
- Wellens R.I., Roche A.F., Khamis H.J., Jackson A.S., Pollock M.L., Siervogel R.M. (1996). Relationships between the body mass index and body composition, Obesity Research, 4(1):35-44. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1550-8528.1996.tb00510.x